The Data Capture Tab General Information
Later in the following chapters we will look at the Data Capture tab as it relates to the Field Type that you chose earlier (Text, Image, Barcode, etc.). There are other general prompts found in the Data Capture area that are discussed here.
Required (check box) - If the customer is required to complete the information prompted in this field you will check this box. Text entries such as "Second Address Line" you may not want to make required and will not check this box. The user cannot add the item to their shopping cart if this field is left empty.
Prompt Text - Serves as a field label. Enter the text that you want to prompt the customer to input, such as "Enter Your Name".
Max Length - Max Length limits the number of characters that the user may enter into the field. This is set at 50 characters by default.
Tool Tip is a mouse-over message to provide the user with special instructions.
Profile Field Type is an optional setting that enables the system to autofill the template's field with information—such as Name, Address, etc.— for a user logged in to an e-commerce system*. If one of these Profile Field Type options is selected, the template will attempt to autofill the information from information available in the e-commerce system If those sources are blank, it will then use any text you enter in the Data Capture tab > Default Value box instead. Not available in the Interactive Designer version
• First Name (Profile)
• Last Name (Profile)
• Full Name (Profile) (Combination of First and Last in the User Profile)
• Job Title #1 (Profile)
• Company (Address Book) (Locations & Departments > Locations > Business Name)
• Department (Locations & Departments > Departments)
• Address 1 (Address Book)
• Address 2 (Address Book)
• Address 3 (Address Book)
• City (Address Book)
• State or Province (Address Book)
• Postal Code (Address Book)
• Email (Profile)
• Business Phone (Profile 1st, if none then Address Book)
• Fax Phone (Profile 1st, if none then Address Book)
• Middle Name
• Job Title #2
• Home Phone
• Mobile Phone
• Cell Phone
- Sequence Count
Protected Field - Protected Field is a checkbox that allows the field to be marked as protected. Protected fields cannot be edited or even seen by end users, but are intended for those situations where the printer must return and add additional information to a template that is not available until the order is finalized (or perhaps until it is paid for), for example calling card numbers. Not available in the Interactive Designer version
Default Value - If you would like the template to show default information that will be changed once the customer completes the entry, enter it here. Having the default value show helps the customer to see how the template will look when complete and can help guide them. Be aware though that if this field is required, the default information is considered a value and would not stop them if they have not completed that area with new information.
Entry Block - Entry Blocks can be a very helpful tool that can group and organized fields that require similar input, or that need additional instruction. The Entry Block option is not available in the Interactive Designer version of OTB The example in this illustration (lower left) combines the fields "Name and Title", "Location" and "Images" within groups of boxes and displays additional instructions for the user. For the forms based version, you may want to group prompts for each page in the template. It may also shorten the length of your prompts on the page by displaying some next to each other instead of displaying in a long list. Address, City, State, etc. is a good example of this. Always consider your customer’s needs when applying this tool to your site.
To use this tool:
◦ Click the Create Entry Block button to expand the window. Enter an entry block name that describes the group of fields within the block. (i.e. "Address Information")
◦ Click the check box for "Force New Line in Entry Block" if you do not want the prompt to immediately follow another prompt when it could otherwise be possible to fit two or more prompts side by side.
◦ Enter block instructions if desired. This can be very helpful when you want to give the customer specific instructions for a group of prompts.
◦ The entry block name may now be assigned to any fields that you choose by selecting the block name from the drop down for each of the fields you set up.
Previous Chapter: Chapter 10 - Field Setup: Summary and Field Type
Next Chapter: Chapter 12 - Field Setup: Data Capture for Text Fields